Thursday, February 10, 2011

Logitech Revolution MX

So, I love hardware and get all sorts of excited when I gen new stuff.

Anyway, a year ago, I bought a Logitech Revolution MX Laser mouse. It was awesome, fit my hand well. I programmed two of the thumb buttons to be copy and paste so that I could move text around with only my mouse. It was very nice.

The last few months I had my left mouse clicker fail on me. Turns out that it's a common problem. The clicker would do a double click action when I only clicked it once. For the most part this isn't a problem, but in my email program it would open a new window with my email instead of just showing me the preview and open files instead of just selecting them in explorer. It was annoying and got worse as I kept using the mouse.

So, I did the normal trouble shooting, tested it on other computers, did a web search etc. Logitech has good reviews for customer support, so I called in about it and was very pleased. The person on the other end of the phone was knowledgeable and very polite. After talking to me about the trouble shooting steps and having me try a few things I hadn't previously done, he said he would initiate an RMA.

A week later I got the label in an email, printed it out, taped it on a box with the mouse inside and sent it off. Another week later, I got the newer Performance MX. I have extra mice so I just used a backup while I waited for it to come. It didn't have the thumb buttons I was used to, which was disappointing, but it did come with the unifying micro USB receiver, nice. The speed scroll wheel is better designed with a mechanical switch instead of a software based switch. It also has the newer "Dark Field" technology for better tracking. I haven't noticed a big improvement, but I don't mouse on glass either.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the feel of the mouse. It is shaped a little differently than the older one, but still nice in my hand and it glides very nicely. I haven't figured out how to do the copy paste thing yet how I like it. There are extra buttons on the mouse I could use. Maybe, I'll make a post when I get that figured out. Logitech's control panel has gotten better as well with better configuration settings.

Overall a great mouse, and especially as a "free" upgrade. Thank you Logitech for an awesome warranty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I filter all comments heavily. Please be polite and G rated.