Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bootcamp 3.2 Update "Boot Camp Services Setup failed".

I downloaded the BootCamp updater for Bootcamp 3.2 from Apple's website. When I tried to run the installer, it completes it's initialization, then fails with a simple, and annoyingly short message: "Boot Camp Services Setup failed".

I got a similar message when updating to 3.1 when it came out.

Turns out that Apple's updater doesn't deal well with extra display drivers. I use VNC for work and it installs a video driver called Mirage Driver. I had to manually remove that driver in the
device manager Display Adapters section (I get there by right clicking "my computer" -> Properties. Then go to Hardware tab and open the first tool "Device Manager".) I've read that if there is anything other than the video card driver there, BootCamp installer will choke.

Hope it helps someone out there figure things out.

10 comments:

  1. i still have the same problem on my 13" macbook pro unsolved !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! After so many wasted hours on Apple Discussion Boards, yours was the solution that worked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect... Same issue happened for me.. Now solved

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a log of what I uninstalled? I think it was the Windows Live Mesh display adapter that I uninstalled and I'm not sure how to reinstall it -- Mesh isn't complaining about the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! I use Realvnc so I uninstalled realvnc as well as the "vnc mirror driver" in device manager diaplay adapters (you can also uninstall the 'vnc mirror driver' item listed in installed programs (add/remove programs)), and the 3.3 update worked! I then reinstalled realvnc to restore the vnc mirror driver. All good now!!!!!.

    yes sir, it DID help someone out there figure things out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This worked great for me, thanks so much! It was the netop mirror driver that I removed to make the bootcamp update work. All is well since.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is by far my most popular post. Glad this was useful to some. I'm now rocking a new laptop with an OWC SSD on it and Parallels runs all my windows needs very nicely, as in no more Boot Camp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for this post. It's always really great when people have the exact error message so Google can archive it! :)

    I tried just disabling the Log Me In driver (which was the extra display driver issue in my case) but that wasn't enough - had to completely Uninstall it.

    Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. John, glad it helped. Have a great day. I obviously need to post more.

    ReplyDelete

I filter all comments heavily. Please be polite and G rated.